Due to state law, we can not ship this product to NY State. Thyroid peroxidase is an enzyme produced in the body that helps with the production of thyroxine (T4). Sometimes the body will attack the thyroid gland by producing thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibodies that prevents the thyroid gland from producing enough thyroxine leading to hypothyroidism. This is typically only seen in autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto’s disease. If you your T4 levels are low, this test would be useful in helping determine whether an autoimmune disease is the cause.
Hypothyroidism: A condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones. This is also known as an underactive thyroid.
- Some symptoms of hypothyroidism may include: fatigue, depression, weight gain, constipation & hair loss
What is the job of the thyroid gland in the body?
The thyroid is a small gland located in the throat that produces thyroid hormones. These hormones are responsible for regulating the body’s metabolism including how it creates and uses energy.
What are some factors that can affect thyroid function?
Thyroid function can be affected by nutritional deficiencies including iodine & selenium and by exposure to toxic elements including bromine, arsenic, selenium, mercury & cadmium.
Who should test their thyroid function?
Routine screening is recommended for those experiencing symptoms such as: weight gain or inability to gain weight, feeling cold all the time, low energy, hair loss, irregular bowel movements or depression. Testing thyroid function is also recommended for individuals over the age of 50, anyone with a family history of thyroid disorders and those with autoimmune disorders.
- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies are Antibodies Created When The Body Attacks the Thyroid Gland – Thyroid Peroxidase, Often Called TPO is an Enzyme That Helps in the Manufacturing of Thyroxine
- When TPO Antibodies are Produced, it Causes a Decrease in Thyroxine Production and Subsequently Results in Hypothyroidism Also Known as Underactive Thyroid
- The Presence of TPO Antibodies are a Good Indicator That a Person’s Hypothyroidism is Likely Caused by an Autoimmune Disorder, like Hashimoto’s Disease
- Non-Invasive Test Performed With a Simple Fingerstick and Two-Point Urine Collection in the Privacy of Your Home
- Results Available Approximately 5 to 7 Business Days Upon Receipt of Sample at the Lab – No Additional Lab or Shipping Fees