Here we are going to discuss 3 bad habits associated with having acid reflux, namely snoring, burping and bad breath. These bad habits affect our social well-being thus it is worth the while to understand the condition and find out the ways to reduce or eliminate acid reflux.
How Does Acid Reflux Relate To Snoring?
An acid reflux can cause many problems and many people do not realize that there is actually a strong connection between snoring and reflux. Snoring is just one problem that can be caused by an acid reflux and can be an indication that a problem with reflux is occurring.
Both snoring and a reflux are problems that can affect the amount of quality sleep and cause poor effects over a person’s lifestyle. The problem with suffering from both snoring and reflux is usually that the suffering is continuous. An acid reflux affects every part of your day while snoring leaves you weary and cross and the inability to deal with the pain and discomfort caused by reflux.
How Does Acid Reflux Relate To Burping?
The basic symptom that is felt when an individual has reflux is a burning sensation of the esophagus with the chance of the acid entering into the mouth. Another frequent symptom that is sometimes experienced by individuals is burping with acid reflux.
Recognizing Burping With Acid Reflux
It is important to know that gas in the stomach or burping is a common occurrence for most individuals. The gas in the stomach can be either caused by swallowing air or by eating certain types of food. Therefore, it is important to differentiate between non-reflux burping versus burping with acid reflux.
Associated burping with reflux happens when the acid in a person’s stomach travels backwards into the esophagus which causes a burning feeling in the chest area. If this excess acid travels into the mouth it is then given out in gaseous state. This is the way to identify whether an individual’s burping is normal or associated with reflux.
Moreover, the gas that is released through this process can be extremely smelling strong and very bad.
How Does Reflux Relate To Bad Breath?
It is usual for a person to suffer both bad breath and reflux. This is because the stomach acid backing up into the esophagus often carries with it the odor of the stomach acids that travel their way into the esophagus or all the way up into the throat.
A person’s breath is affected by what they eat so it only explains that some of the same foods may be causing bad breath and reflux. However a change of diet can aid with both problems. When a person takes in hot and spicy foods, the chemicals in the food that makes it spicy will enter the blood stream. When the blood passes through the lungs and is exchanged for oxygenated air, the person’s breath will reflect the smell leaving the blood stream.
Chronic and persistent indigestion can damage more than bad breath and reflux as the hydrochloric acid in the stomach is the same type of acid that is in car batteries. It can erode the lining of the esophagus and if allowed to work upwards can be painful in the ears and cause damage to the voice box and upper larynx.
If a person feels there is acid rising in their throat, even when not followed by a burning sensation, it is a sign that reflux is occurring. Once the symptoms seem to fade away, they may still suffer bad breath and acid reflux may be the cause of it.
The Common Treatment For Snoring, Burping And Bad Breath
If as a result of reflux, you suffer from either snoring, burping or bad breath, the cure for you is
1) Get rid of your excess weight. Excess weight has always been the onset of health problems. To achieve and maintain your ideal weight is always best. One way to lose those kilos is to eat frequently but smaller portions for your meals. Your stomach will be able to cope with the smaller amount thus enabling to digest most of the foods taken in.
2) Avoid eating foods which trigger reflux. Foods that may cause acid reflux are foods that add to the acidity of the digestive process. That will include drinking of carbonated beverages, tomatoes, onions, certain types of fruit, etc
3) Raise the torso area when you sleep. By doing so, the contents in the stomach will unlikely to be able to seep up the esophagus.
4) Treatments for reflux can be the use of medication. This medication can be over the counter products such as antacids or the use of prescription medicines that help to reduce the production of acid.
5) Avoiding the use of tobacco. Smoking has also been proven to cause other more serious illnesses such as cancer.
These solutions will most probably reduce your occurrences with acid reflux and at the same time solve the bad habits of snoring, burping and bad breath. By having acid reflux is hazardous and uncomfortable enough without going through other problems. However for a truly effective cure, it is best to consult a doctor in the matter.